This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Saturday, March 1, 2008

A Biting Insight

From Telegraph.co.uk, one of the online newspapers I get regularly emailed to me: "A man blinded in an industrial explosion has regained partial sight after [emphasis mine] his son's tooth was transplanted into one of his eyes in a groundbreaking operation." Yep, you read that correctly. The full story is here.

Okay, aside from the fact that this'll hopelessly screw up the old expression, "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth," this is just... wrong. I mean, sure, I'm glad this poor guy got his vision partially restored. Out of all the things I could ever conceivably lose-- my hair, digits, limbs, senses, my personally-autographed photo of Alan "The Skipper" Hale, etc. -- the two things which would bother me most would be the loss of my eyesight and/or the loss of my mind. (And no comments from the Peanut Gallery concerning that latter one!)

But still...

The ramifications are staggering. This could drastically change the future, and maybe even make us look at our past through a distorted lens! (All vision-related puns -- "look at," "lens," etc. -- are unavoidable, but would be welcomed by me anyway 'cause that's the kinda guy I am.)

To list just one example, we may have to rephrase the lyrics of an old song by The Who to say "See me... feel me... bite me... heal me!" Nope, not a good thing.

And I'm sure you can all think of at least one more on your own, eh?

Thanks for your time.

4 comments:

cake said...

I read that story...I had to read it maybe a half dozen times to understand it.

And I'm still not entirely sure I get it....it creeps me out just a little, to be honest. ::shiver::

I'm addin' ya to my links so I remember to look at yer blog. Hope that's alright!

David'Z RantZ said...

Ah, a comment from the mystery woman with the "hidden" profile! Welcome aboard.

Yeah, it is a creepy idea, but it could be worse. (Anybody out there ever hear of "vagina dentata?" http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/13198_2.html)

And of course it's okay that you put me on your link list... I've returned the favor.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

I'd hate to lose my keys....cuz then how would I start my car and unlock me doors?

I'd also hate to have a doctor implant my keys in my eye.

Unless it was my eye teeth.

Or something.

Keair Snyder said...

lol I read the story and I still do not understand how the hell that worked.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails