This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Monday, March 3, 2008

Some Great Childhood Memories

You know, folks, when I was growing up in the 1950s and 1960s, things seemed so much simpler than they are today. Television programs expressed values which were just as "black and white" as the flickering images on the TV screen.

One of my favorite programs was "The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriet." And what adventures they were! Harriet Nelson and her second husband, Ozzy Osbourne -- along with their two sons, David and Ricky -- sure got into all sorts of mischief! And Ozzy, of course, was instrumental (no pun intended) in coaxing young Ricky to enter the ranks of the early rock'n'rollers. (By the way, trivia fans, did you know that the real first name of "Ricky" -- later "Rick" -- Nelson was actually Eric? But since Ricky was a product of Harriet's first marriage -- hence the "Nelson" surname -- there's obviously no truth to the oft-repeated rumor that Ozzy named the younger Nelson son after his good friend, Eric Clapton!)

Yep, a ton of giggles, chuckles, and some outright guffaws were prompted by that sitcom, I'll tell ya!

I think my very favorite episode was the Thanksgiving show where Harriet was in the hospital, so poor Ozzy was stuck cooking the Thanksgiving turkey. Ohhh, boy, lots of mayhem ensued, by golly, when Big Daddy Oz brought the cooked turkey to the table and it still had its head... which, of course, Ozzy bit off right before the actual carving. Loads o'laughs, yessiree-Bob!

(Man, I can't wait to see if any of this crap winds up on Wikipedia!)

Thanks for your time.

8 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

I fully anticipate to find ALL of this in wikipedia, my fine feathered friend.

Ooh! Poor Ed O'Donnell. I never saw "Major Mudd," but it looks pretty dang good. I was all over Rex Trailer and Uncle Gus--and I can't find any clips of Uncle Gus. Boo-hoo.

Have you seen this?
http://www.tvparty.com/lostboston.html

David'Z RantZ said...

Yeah, I've seen TV Party's Boston stuff. I was even supposed to submit a bunch of info a few years back, but that fell through.

And Sparkle? Here you go, just for you: http://davidzrantz.diaryland.com/images/1963.jpg

Sparkle Plenty said...

GREAT Uncle Gus picture! Is that you bogarting the Jiffy Pop?

Redbeard76 said...

Ozzie would then go on to be a big reality TV star. This new show mostly consisted of picking up his pets' poo and fighting with neighbor Pat Boone. Good and wholesome.

Spackle, come back here with my cookies!

David'Z RantZ said...

Sparkle: Nope, I got that shot second-hand from someone who also grew up watching Uncle Gus. Thought you'd appreciate it, and I even named it that vague "1963" in hopes of pleasantly surprising you. Channel 9 only came in on the clearest days where I lived (southern Massachusetts). I only found out recently that on WMUR-TV's seasonal Santa Claus telecasts, Uncle Gus played Santa, btw. Those I'd watch on clear days, too.

Redbeard: "Spackle?" Oh, s**t, see what I started!

Sparkle Plenty said...

David's Rantz: Cool! (Not to worry about the name, I've occasionally called myself Spackle.)

Redbeard: Cookies? What cookies?

David'Z RantZ said...

Hi, Sparkle, always a pleasure to hear from y--

HEY! WHO GOT COOKIE CRUMBS ALL OVER MY BLOG?!?

Keair Snyder said...

Hahahahahaha Yeah, man, I have watched that show on youtube. A true classic....lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails