This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Monday, September 22, 2008

An Experiment That "Went a Little Ca-Ca?"

Al Calavicci, the Quantum Leap character so engagingly portrayed by Dean Stockwell, explained the premise of the show as "a time travel experiment that... went a little ca-ca."

Well, if I may mix -- or scramble -- a metaphor, here, science is not always..... err... an exact science. So in any given experimental situation, there's always the potential for more "ca-ca" than what could be handled by a warehouse full of Pampers.

How many of us non-scientists really understand what's going on with the Large Hadron Collider?

Several who did -- and, I'm guessing, many many more that did not -- wrote articles or blogs about the LHC incorporating the title of the R.E.M. song "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)". In fact, a Google search combining the terms "Large Hadron Collider" and "It's the End of the World As We Know It" will yield approximately 4,700 results.

Now, only ten days after they fired up that little puppy, this article appears.

Well. That didn't take long, did it?

I don't pretend to know enough about this subject to be panicking right now, nor am I all that worried about the future. I'm not an alarmist. I'm just making a few observations and comments, because... well, because I can. But I'm old enough to have seen "The China Syndrome" in the cinema... and terms like "Three Mile Island" and "Chernobyl" still resonate, especially when coupled with a word like "meltdown."

Oh, and please don't bother pointing out that the examples from the preceding paragraph referred to nuclear incidents, and that the LHC has nothing to do with that. I'm just reacting to the thought of science going "ca-ca" once again.

Reminds me of the old line, "This was only a test. If it had been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed to put your head between your knees, and kiss your ass good-bye."

Thanks for your time.

8 comments:

bacon ace said...

tee hee "ca-ca"

David'Z RantZ said...

Hope I didn't shock you there, Ace.

cake said...

I hate having REM stuck in my head.

David'Z RantZ said...

There are worse places...

Redbeard76 said...

So that's how ca-ca is spelt? For some reason I thought it was ka-ka, but no matter.

If something weird happens in the near future, I'm blaming the LHC. Sunday night, I heard this loud weird sound, then my computer crashed and died. And did not resuscitate until just this morning. I felt naked without my working computer. Anyhow, I digress. Where am I?

Hello, parallel universe!

Sparkle Plenty said...

I've been away for so long that all of the familiar, old blogs I visit have "new blog smell." How exciting. As I get caught up, however, I note that some things never change. Chicks are still calling you a sexy bastard!

Way to go, Rantz! (Gives Rantz a "Peppermint Patty Punch" on the arm.)

John said...

Everybody who's ever played Half-Life is getting real scared now.

David'Z RantZ said...

Ah, yes... And the lovely Sparkle once again shows us why she's been so missed around these parts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails