This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Jerry Reed, 1937-2008, R.I.P.

I don't really have much to write about Jerry Reed, who died on August 31st. I guess his main appeal for me was that he seemed to be one of those show business people who never took himself too seriously. And that observation applies to many of his songs -- "Amos Moses," "The Preacher and the Bear," "She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft"), etc. -- as well as several of his acting roles. And by "never [taking] himself too seriously," I'm not disparaging his talent. I just mean that he seemed to have a lot of fun doing whatever it was that he was doing at any given time.

(And, in the "David Loves the Internet" category, I just learned that Jerry wrote the Gene Vincent tune "Crazy Legs," as well as my own personal favorite Brenda Lee song, "That's All You Got to Do." Cool.)

There are also several memories tied up with my 1973 "discovery" of his 1972 LP, "Hot A'Mighty." At the time, I was dating my very first girlfriend, Becky, who was originally from Nashville, Tennessee. Some songs from that album had an obvious connection, like -- duh -- "Nashville Woman," while others, such as "I'm Not Playing Games" and "You Took All the Ramblin' Out of Me," related to my situation as well, because, as you all know, a boy's first love is naturally the one that's going to last forever... *ahem*

Or six months... whichever comes first...

"Hot A'Mighty" also includes an interesting arrangement of the classic "Sixteen Tons," by the way.

And finally... All of the above is more than enough for me to forgive him for his 1972 appearance in "The New Scooby-Doo Movies." Just sayin'.

Thanks for your time.

2 comments:

subtorp585 said...

Another great talent that will be missed. Thanks for passing this on David. Didn't know he wrote that Brenda Lee tune.

David'Z RantZ said...

Yup, I just learned that, m'self.

Related Posts with Thumbnails