This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Michael Crichton, 1942-2008, R.I.P.

Stop me if you've heard this...

When I was still in high school, I saw Westworld. It was a really cool movie with an even cooler concept. The movie told the story of a theme park divided into three sections: WesternWorld, RomanWorld, and MedievalWorld. Each section contained incredibly lifelike robots which could interact with the park's guests. As it turned out, however, the robots went beserk, and started killing the guests.

Twenty years later, when Jurassic Park was released (based on the 1990 novel of the same name), I said, "Wow, that sounds just like Westworld, only with dinosaurs."

As you may know, the screenplay for Westworld and the novel Jurassic Park were both written by Michael Crichton... who has died from cancer at the age of 66.

Rest in peace, Mr. Crichton.

Thanks for your time.

14 comments:

cake said...

I just started reading Crichton a couple of years ago so this is especially disappointing...just finding an author and then he has to go and die.

There was a great bit from him on the radio yesterday...and thoughts vs. actions. Truly brilliant, I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

After I finish looking after Baby Cake, of course.

(BLOG CROSSOVER!)

cake said...

ABOUT thoughts vs. actions, that should read.

I need more coffee.

David'Z RantZ said...

Cake: You and Ishat will hopefully enjoy the November 24th post on my other blog. Here's a hint: Leonard Cohen.

Sparkle Plenty said...

BLOG CROSSOVER! Thankz for the Peanutz vid, Rantz! How on earth did whoever put it together know that it would work so well? It does!

David'Z RantZ said...

He, she, or they really did do a great job, didn't they?

And I'm still picturing you dancing like the various Peanuts characters.

cake said...

November 24th!?!! BLOG TEASE!

David'Z RantZ said...

Sorry, Cake, but the 10th and 17th are for the two final chapters in the Aero storyline.

Sparkle Plenty said...

HEY! I just read your post! I loved Westworld, and I never knew Michael Crichton had anything to do with the movie. Thanks for the excellent trivia.

cake said...

Hmmph.

bacon ace said...

I have a script about a comic shop run by lifelike robots. The robots go berzerk and wrinkle all the back issues.

The horror...

David'Z RantZ said...

Aren't ALL comic shops run by lifelike robots?

P.S. ~~ Bacon Ace's Sideburns, R.I.P. (BLOGGER CROSSOVER!)

cake said...

So to sum up:

IANO is a lifelike robot??!

David'Z RantZ said...

Yep.

And so's Cousin Saul...

And so am I...

John said...

One thing I didn't realize until recently was that Michael Crichton was around that long. I remember him being real big in the 1990s, but I guess he wasn't so big in the 1980s. I remember my Dad reading some books like Rising Sun. I only found out about the "Andromida Strain" a while back.

I never knew he wrote Westworld.

Related Posts with Thumbnails