This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Monday, November 3, 2008

"Security? SECURITY?!?" Revisited (Special "What's Goin' On?" Edition)

Hey there, ever'body! Remember this wacky ol' Guinness ad from the other day?



Sure ya do.

Well, nobody noticed that there was somethin' kinda... strange... about the photo. At least, if anybody did notice, nobody mentioned it ta me.

And what about the photo was strange?

No, no, no! Not the fact that these four kooky, kwazy kids are havin' their picnic right on the grounds of Stonehenge.

Nope. That's perfectly A-OK! These were the Kennedy years -- judgin' by the hairstyles -- and back then, with the Democrats in power here in the U.S. of A, it was "Anythin' goes!" all across the world!

As long as "anythin' " didn't mean anythin' Communist, don'tcha know.

Nope. Take a close look at the photo of the guy in front, chowin' down enthusiastically on that fried chicken.


Didja catch that? No? Then take another look. A reallllly close look! Put yer nose right up against the ol' computer screen if ya hafta!


What's goin' on with that leg/ankle/foot? It looks like one heck of a deformity ta me. And this was back in the day when the way we treated our deformed or handicapped was -- pretty much -- ta hide 'em!

So, was this ad a real breakthrough, like, say, a woman candidate for vice-president? Or was that gosh-darned photographer just asleep at the doggone switch?

You decide, and get back ta me on it, okay?

And ya do know where ta find me, don'tcha? [winks]

Thanks loads fer yer time. And don't forget ta vote!

(For the edification of our readership, the dialect for today's post was transcribed in authentic Palinese.)









"I'm David, and I approved this message."

15 comments:

Jeanie said...

Hey there, Silver Fox!I read today's blog and thought it sounded like Sarah Palin, then I read the thingee at the bottom.Pretty funny.Of course, I'm voting for her tomorrow. Why?Because I'm a woman, and she's a wom,an, so I have to.What, I don't?But wasn't that why they picked her?So I'd have to vote for her?I'm just a woman, I couldn't possibly have any thoughts of my own, right?

Up yours, stupid Republicans.

Anyway, Foxy, don't you have a birthday coming up soon?Want to get together and celebrate being old farts?

Sarah said...

He does have a freakish looking ankle...

mulderjoe said...

Maybe Stonehenge does that to ankles? Maybe this dude's a Republican?

So many questions...

David'Z RantZ said...

Plus, it kinda looks like his foot's not completely in the shoe, like the shoe's dangling on the end of his foot. If I were the photographer, I'd like to think I'd have had the presence of mind to notice it and say, "Hey! Greg Marmalard!* Fix your shoe, or people looking at this ad are gonna think your leg's deformed or something!"

Or else, the male model chipped off a bit of one of the rocks of Stonehenge, and stuffed it in his sock? Damned souvenir hunters!

"So many questions," indeed!

Jeanie: Yes, my birthday's in a couple of weeks. And somehow, I don't think you're really voting McCain-Palin... are ya?

*National Lampoon's Animal House reference.

cake said...

AAAAAAAAAAH! His ankle's deformed!

When I first saw this post I thought you were digging into the archives again...only this time not going far enough back. I wondered, in other words, if you'd lost your mind. No offence.

David'Z RantZ said...

So, what, you thought that maybe I had Alzheimer's, or something?

Next time maybe you'll do more than just look at the pictures, silly girl. ;-)

David'Z RantZ said...

And gosh, how could I ever be offended by an innocent remark like "I WONDERED... IF YOU'D LOST YOUR MIND?"

David'Z RantZ said...

Dork. I mean... geek.

cake said...

1. "Silly girl"? I'm afraid I'm mortally offended...or is that terminally offended? I forget. Sh*t, it's The Alzheimers again! Anyways, ask around...I'm a well known skimmer. (Occasionally in recovery.)

2. I thought you might've lost your mind...? And become easily offended? Oh I dunno. I give up!

3. Thank you, glad we got that sorted out.

Sincerely,
A Geek

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Are we saying someone other than me has 'the Mad Cow' too?

Have you joined the support group yet? They are ever so much fun!

You get a kookie friend assigned to you as soon as you sign up. They will even do same sex sleep overs when you are scared.

Very useful, especially if the Mad Cow gets you in trouble with the law when you start shooting people.

blunoz said...

Nope, I totally didn't notice when you posted it before. I stared at it for a while and tried to figure out why you posted it, but I couldn't figure it out.

So, ah... have a little too much free time on your hands? Do you routinely go around and analyze antique advertisement posters with a magnifying glass? :-)

David'Z RantZ said...

Ishat: One of the few drawbacks to dropping TV "cold turkey" as I did a few weeks ago is that there are some new shows I'll miss. Like "Boston Legal." Not to arouse the wrath of any Trekkers out there, but I think it's the best stuff Shatner's ever done. And, IMHO I must stress, the most effective stuff Spader's done since "Sex, Lies, and Videotape."

Blunoz: Actually even I didn't notice the weird leg at first. I originally posted the ad because I was struck by the unlikelihood of anyone being allowed to have a picnic on the grounds of Stonehenge, especially if they also brought alcoholic beverages with them. What was the ad agency thinking? And as far as having too much time on my hands... Sometimes it does seem that way, dunnit?

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

I have to agree with you about the actors.

I am watching it right now.

You can catch it on ABC.com. they put them up about a week after they are shown.

It is how I catch up on the shows I miss because of my wee ones.

Check out the dude ranch episode. Very Very Mad Cow.

David'Z RantZ said...

"You can catch it on ABC.com. They put them up about a week after they are shown."

Oboy. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Hulu.com has some good stuff,too.

NBC and FOX and FX and some old stuff.

That is another place I go.

Lot's of t.v. on line.

Have fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails