This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I Can Do It, Too!

I often complain that people are always messing with the meaning -- or at least the preferred use -- of this word or that.

My issue, I usually stress, is not the fact that the words are being changed. English is, after all, a "living" language, and as such, is subject to change. Mutation, if you will. (Evolution, if you want to piss off the neocons.)

Nope, I just get ticked off because no one ever consults me.

So, what the hell, I figure, I'm going to take a word and give it a new meaning.

Here's the definition -- and a bit more -- for the word "palindrome," as taken from Wikipedia. If you want to read allllll about it, go here! But for now, let's settle for the following:

A palindrome is a word, phrase, number or other sequence of units that can be read the same way in either direction (the adjustment of punctuation and spaces between words is generally permitted).

And...
The most familiar palindromes, in English at least, are character-by-character: the written characters read the same backwards as forwards. Palindromes may consist of a single word (civic, level, racecar, rotator, Malayalam), or a phrase or sentence ("Was it a rat I saw?", "Wasilla: All I saw", "Mr. Owl ate my metal worm", "Sit on a potato pan, Otis", "Neil, a trap! Sid is part alien!", "Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.", "Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas", "I roamed under it as a tired nude Maori"). Punctuation, case and spacing are usually ignored, although some (such as "Rats live on no evil star") include the spacing. Three famous English palindromes are "Able was I ere I saw Elba" (which is also palindromic with respect to spacing), "A man, a plan, a canal—Panama!”, and “Madam, in Eden I'm Adam”. The last example is still palindromic if "in Eden" is left out, as is often the case.
Well, forget all of that. From now on, here's
my
the definition of "palindrome":
A palindrome is a lengthy sentence or phrase which, once it has been written down and analyzed, makes very little sense, if any, no matter whether it is read forwards, backwards, or any other way. [see Sarah Palin]
And don't think it's a coincidence that the word "Wasilla" shows up in the above Wikipedia segment, either!
Thanks for your time.

37 comments:

Cake said...

Comment.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

Another comment.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

Ohhhhhh....look....snother one!

Lenin said...

Commie Mint?

I Ain't No Oprah said...

Comb meant to fix hair.

Comb so sorry.

John Goodman said...

Come MANT!

Code in node said...

Aaaaaacommentchoooooo!

amateur astronomer said...

Look out! A comet!

What?

Oh, never mind.

Big Chief said...

Me Comanche...is close?

a. doubleday said...

Roger Comments was my favorite pitcher...shame he roided up.

B. Thatcher said...

Love me some Samuel Comments...loved Huck Finn the best!

an exterminator said...

Come, ants!

Movie Marquee said...

Commento: Starring Arnold Schwarzneggar

mafia hitman said...

I do some of my best work in comments...no, wait...that's cement. I was confused.

Dr. Polite said...

I must comment you on a fine blog, Good sir!

Tolkien nerd said...

Come, Ents!

fashionista said...

Does this sure comment my eyes?

tarded fashionista said...

SHIRT!

Crap.

Shirley Booth said...

Comment Back, Little Sheba

Queen of Canada said...

Come, pence!

the Beatles said...

Comment Together

A Lull said...

The Comment Before The Storm

ELO said...

Commenting America!

A Soldier said...

All's Comment on the Western Front

Confused lawsuit said...

I demand commentspensation!

Okay, okay...so we just live togther said...

Comment Law Marriage

Santa Claus said...

Merry Commentmas! And a Happy New Year!

ok so it's a fake marriage said...

But I swear we're quite commented, regardless!

Dr. Demento said...

Commento Cody and the Lost Planet Airman

David'Z RantZ said...

Very impressive, people.

THAT'S why I write!

To inspire brilliance among my readers!

(By the way, we heard from Lenin. Do we also get Starr, Harrison, and McCartney?)

Anonymous said...

(brilliance from two of us anyhow)

David'Z RantZ said...

What,I have MORE than two readers? See? That was the point of my LAST post. I never KNOW! I can't TELL! I don't...

(I'll shut up now.)

By the way, anybody actually READ this one yet?

(Okay, so I LIED about shutting up. What else is new?)

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Your definition would probably caught on if we elected McCain. Damn, too late to change my vote?

Barrack just doesn't have the same comedy factor.

A Brilliant Commentator said...

What tracking site are you using? Just curious...

David'Z RantZ said...

http://www.statcounter.com

It's free!

Sarah said...

I love Palindromes! Why do you think I named my daughter Ava?

Her dad is hoping she marries a guy names Bob Kayak.

Keair Snyder said...

"A palindrome is a lengthy sentence or phrase which, once it has been written down and analyzed, makes very little sense, if any, no matter whether it is read forwards, backwards, or any other way. [see Sarah Palin]"-Example of palindrome: "Paul Revere warned the British about warning the 'Americans' about their right to bear arms..." Woman looks over at her boyfriend and asks, "What the hell is that woman talking about now?" Boyfriend replies, "I don't know, honey. But I'm sure that was a palindrome." hahahahaha See Sarah Palin indeed!

Related Posts with Thumbnails