This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Monday, December 15, 2008

How About a "Size Ten" Right Up Your...


I didn't find out about this until early this morning, but by then, you'd probably already heard about how an Iraqi journalist threw both of his shoes at President Bush. (The full story can be found in the New York Times, among other places.)

Those who know me know that I'm hardly the man's biggest fan, but frankly, that's going way too far. If I'd thrown my shoes -- or anything else -- at the freakin' president, the secret service men would be using me as a piƱata. And rightfully so. The man's the leader of a freakin' country. Pardon me for being such a traditionalist, but I feel that for that alone, he deserves some kind of respect.

(Oops! Every so often, a streak of old-fashioned conservatism pushes through my liberal leanings. Any wonder I insist on being called a "moderate?" You should hear me go off about some other conservative values of mine! But I digress.)

The following quote is from the article I've linked to:

[Prime Minister] Maliki’s security agents jumped on the man, wrestled him to the floor and hustled him out of the room. They kicked him and beat him until “he was crying like a woman,” said Mohammed Taher, a reporter for Afaq, a television station owned by the Dawa Party, which is led by Mr. Maliki. Mr. Zaidi was then detained on unspecified charges.

Unspecified charges? Umm... How about "assault?"

And President Bush's response?

[President Bush] called the incident a sign of democracy, saying, “That’s what people do in a free society, draw attention to themselves,” as the man’s screaming could be heard outside.

(I love that last part... )

The article goes on to say:

Hitting someone with a shoe is considered the supreme insult in Iraq. It means that the target is even lower than the shoe, which is always on the ground and dirty.

However, people are falling all over themselves to say that the journalist, Muntader al-Zaidi, should be released in the name of "democracy and free speech."

Really. Oh, that's right. I forgot how tolerant and progressive they are over there in the Middle East. What a bunch of party animals!

In this country, it's illegal to even threaten the president. And if you or I were to throw something at him, as I "did" in my example above? Like I said, that's assault. Hell, if I were to throw something at you, that's assault.

Maybe Dubya's just trying to downplay it to avoid causing an international brouhaha? Whatever. I still think the guy should have to pay some sort of price.

On the other hand, they already "beat him until 'he was crying like a woman,' " as that Iraqui reporter said, right?

"Crying like a woman."

Yup.

Tolerant and progressive.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. ~~ By the way, dudes: Nice f**king security.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

...beat him until he was crying like a woman..

That's by far the best part.

Yeah "unspecified charges"? What the h is that?

Good post!

Sparkle Plenty said...

I think that Bush is hoping to make his diplomatic--and freakishly articulate--handling of this incident his "legacy." Forget everything else about the last 20 years (what's that--it was just eight?); focus on the freedom of the shoeing.

Jeanie said...

Wow.I've been gone for awhile.Lots n lots of catching up to do.I've already glanced quickly at some of the other postings you've done.It looks like you've been busy.Guess I've got my plans made for tonight!

Jeanie said...

Almost forgot, happy (belated) birthday, Cake!I loved the birthday cake.

Cake said...

Thank you! The cake was delicious! Well, in my imagination...especially the picture part. Mmm.

John said...

This has already become an Internet Phenomenon in the last few days. Take a look at this article.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/12/bush-shoe-toss.html

Betsy said...

A moderate? Careful, you might start sounding like me! :)

O'Reilly interviewed Bush last night...a full hour...excellent. And David, I bet you would have enjoyed it and even agreed with some things. Me? It was such a breath of fresh air from the law-professor lectures and 8 minutes answers which say nothing. ha.

And next time you want to run someone over with your car, just throw a shoe! You could keep an extra one on the passenger seat. :)

Keair Snyder said...

I am not going to lie, I laughed like hell when I saw that footage. I even watched it on youtube just so I could start it over and watch it again. However, I do agree that if any of us here in America tried to do that to the prick now, two years after he left office, we would go to jail...at least. And I think if anyone deserves to toss shoes at his head (which, given his I.Q. seems pointless any damned way) it is the American people. So where the hell was our shot at that? lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails