This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Friday, January 16, 2009

I'll Cry If I Want To! (Updated)

(This is about one of my earliest celebrity crushes. As for why I'm bothering to write this at all... well... you'll kinda/sorta understand that better tomorrow, unless something really newsworthy happens in the meantime!)

Here and there in "David'Z RantZ" I've mentioned my "weakness" for green-eyed ladies. I know where and (approximately) when it started.

My sister Kathy is very slightly less than six years older than I am. I mean, we're talking under three weeks less. For better or for worse, I owe much of my early musical tastes to her. When she was about twelve, she started buying records. Her very first 45 was "Palisades Park" by Freddy Cannon. That same 45 now resides in my collection.

Her usual pattern from then until the late 1960s was to latch on to one artist or another, and buy everything available by him/her/them. In this fashion, she (and I) got to O.D. on the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Gene Pitney, and Lesley Gore. I remain a fan of all of the above to this day.

But Lesley Gore was special. She stood out from the rest of those artists whom I just named because she was a girl! Woo-hoo! And I was attracted to the opposite sex from a very early age.

Yup. Even at seven. (And even before then, truth be told.)

In fact, I'm pretty sure Miss Gore wasn't even my first celebrity crush. (I think that designation belongs to Noelle Adam.) And I know for a fact that I had "liked" (in "that way") at least two girls in my kindergarten class a couple of years earlier! (Their names were Judy and Linda, so in case they ever read this... )

Anyway, one day, the LP jacket pictured above was propped up against the living room wall -- Christmas Day or shortly thereafter, IIRC -- and I lay sprawled out... staring at the album cover... totally smitten.

Totally smitten and, I should add, completely mesmerized by those green eyes.

Thus are what I call "weaknesses" created.

Luckily for me, I'd long since gotten over my childhood infatuation before discovering purely by accident, on the web, that Miss Gore is a lesbian. I mean, it's not as if I'd ever had a chance with her anyway, ya know?

(And let's not lower ourselves by using any Lesley/"lez" jokes here, okay? We're all much too mature to "go there.")

So. I'm just showing the power a celebrity crush can have over me.

Which -- as I stated at the onset of today's lunacy -- will make a lot more sense when you read tomorrow's post.

Now, here's a veritable plethora of YouTube videos featuring Miss Gore! (And most, but not all, are personal favorites of mine from way back in the good old days -- notice I did not say "back in the day" -- lest you think I just slapped a random bunch of them up here!)

"The Old Crowd"


"Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows" from Ski Party... and that's Dwayne "Dobie Gillis" Hickman she's fondling, by the way!


"I Died Inside"


"Say Goodbye"


"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap," I swear to God!!! And I won't take it personally if you only listen long enough to get a "taste" of it. That's all I did!


"Come Softly To Me," a duet with Oliver of "Good Morning, Starshine" fame! A few notes here:
  • This video was made by an obvious Lesley Gore fan, who really needed to dig up more than one damned photo of Oliver!
  • Whoever arranged this song obviously knew Oliver was going to be doing it. It's eerily reminiscent of his version of "Good Morning, Starshine" in parts.
  • Until the night upon which I spent hours -- yes, hours, thanks to my slow-running, overloaded computer -- looking for the songs I wanted to include here, I never knew this version existed. But, I figured, I do love the Fleetwoods' version, so why not give it a shot?
  • I won't hold it against you if you don't make it all the way through this one, either.



And just to show that I wasn't the only misguided male with a crush on Miss Gore...


Thanks for your time.

7 comments:

subtorp77 said...

David....there's too many coincidences here to go into. I'll see you Sunday. I too, had a copy of Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon's Palisades Park( alas, no longer ). Big fan of Lesley Gore, but bigger fan of Brenda Lee. And Petula Clark( excuse me, "DAME" Petula Clark ). You do hit on something about the green eyes( cue Sugarloaf's "Green Eyed Lady ").

Sparkle Plenty said...

GREAT clips!

Goes off humming Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows.

David'Z RantZ said...

Sparkle, SubTorp:

It always surprises me when relative youngsters -- relative to me, that is -- know so much about and/or otherwise appreciate older stuff. It shouldn't. I'm a fan of Buddy Holly, for example, and he died when I was two. I'm a fan of Hank Williams, who died before I was born. I'm a fan of Beethoven, who died WAY before I was born... !!!

I updated some of my notes on the clips, especially concerning the moderately disappointing duet with Oliver.

I like Brenda Lee, but was never a huuuuge fan. My two favorite songs by her are "That's All You Gotta Do" (which gets precious little airplay) and "Is It True" (a song which I found by happy accident in a collection of 45s, a song that gets NO airplay).

I'm not sure why, but Petula Clark's "Downtown" -- which I love -- always sounded rather sad to me, despite its lyrics. Strange.

I almost titled this post "Green Eyed Lady," but figured a Lesley Gore line would be more appropriate.

Except for the "Come Softly to Me" duet and (predictably) "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap," the clips I chose to showcase were some of my own all-time L.G. favorites. I could've saved myself a lot of time by just using predictable cuts like "It's My Party" and "You Don't Own Me," but not me, no sir! The sacrifices I make for my readers!

subtorp77 said...

Young? Moi? Thanks! I grew up listening to all the "oldies", as my Pop would call 'em. Doo-wop, Country&Western & early rock-n-roll. Rockabilly was also a favourite. He always refereed to me as a "long-hair". What? So I like the symophony,Big Band,Folk-rock. I'll listen to anything, depending on my mood, sans rap. Not putting it down,just don't care for it.To borrow a phrase from Lou Reed in "Back to the Future"-"You guys are just too loud". And yes, I'll even listen to Acapella( shamelessly has DaVinci's Notebook recordings ).

And it would seem( sometimes ) ,that the better songs are often played the least. Am I right? Somewhat?

subtorp77 said...

Top five favourites of all time

1. The Mills Brothers

2. Harry James/Gene Kruppa(tie)

3. Beethoven/Mozart(tie)

4. The Irish Rovers

5. Bob Dylan/Kingston Trio(yet another tie).

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Sunshine lollipops and Rainbows...

Was that in a Monty Python episode?

Ishat mind drifts to Python goodness. Every Sunday morning is worshiping at the pulpit of Python on BBC-America.

La lalala la la

Keair said...

You probably already know this but she came out of the closet a few years ago. The poor woman had hid the fact that she was a lesbian all of those years.

Related Posts with Thumbnails