This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Once You're In, You're In for Life." (Updated)

"Once you're in, you're in for life."

Did you ever hear that expression, meaning that once you join a "certain" organization, the only way you'll ever get out is by dying, no matter what else you try? So have I. Did you think it was about the Mafia? So did I.

It's not.

It's about f**king Classmates.com.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. ~~ I first "found" Classmates a few years ago -- and not via one of their ubiquitous banner ads -- when I was searching for a girl I had a crush on in second and third grade. She moved to the next town in third grade, and nine years later, the local paper printed photos of all the graduates in our area... my town, her town, and more! And there she was, looking gorgeous... and legal...

But I digress.

Anyway, I entered my personal info on the site. I was even a Gold Member, briefly. I did manage to re-establish contact with one of the few members of my graduating class whom I deem "worthy" of such contact, so it wasn't a total loss.

I just visited the site to see if they'd improved it as far as removing your personal info -- they have -- and stopping all their blasted emails. To stop emails, it takes about half an hour visiting different pages to opt out of several different kinds of emails! So maybe my "in for life" characterization of their site isn't quite accurate, but their email notification pages still need a re-haul.

This update is grudgingly provided for the sake of fairness, although it takes the uncharacteristic brevity -- and subsequent effectiveness -- out of my original post.

Bastards.

17 comments:

cousin saul said...

Are you my classmate? Have I been searching for you? Have you been searching for me?

David'Z RantZ said...

I'm sure you'd like the answers to ALL of those questions... and I'll be glad to tell you, IF you sign up for a (paid) GOLD MEMBERSHIP!!!

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Oooooo, how much, I will pay anything!

Sparkle Plenty said...

HA! It's so true. It's the Hotel California of ads. Or something?

Cake said...

I once paid for a month or something of Classmates because it seemed like the only way I'd be able to find a friend who'd moved home to Iran...

...and it worked.

So the ads don't actually annoy me, even though they should.

Am I a freak?

David'Z RantZ said...

Ads?

Why are you all talking about ads?

Oh, crap.

I wasn't talking about the ads.

Once you put your info on the site itself... y'all ain't never getting off it. And they'll never leave you alone.
I've seen several incorrect entries from people I went to school with on there, and apparently, you can't correct stuff, you can only sign on as a brnad-new person.

David'Z RantZ said...

(Hm. New profile pic for Sparkle. New profile pic for Ishat. Cake's profile, still unavailable.)

David'Z RantZ said...

2 more notes:

1. I meant "brand," not "brnad."

2. Cake: As far as your being a freak, you can't blame Classmates.com for that.

Profile Enabled said...

Better?

Sparkle Plenty said...

I have no idea what the classmate thingy is all about. I just look away from the ads that flash at the top o' my screen. However, it's incredibly cool that Cake found her friend in Iran by using it, eh?

David'Z RantZ said...

To "Profile": Much.

To Sparkle: Cake does a lot of things that are incredibly cool. But don't tell her I said so!

Redbeard76 said...

Thanks for the warning. I've always been cheesed off my classmates.com's ads all over the place, so it didn't really entice me at all. However, Facebook has been an excellent way for me to get in touch with classmates again. And I can drop it at any time. Also I don't get the incessant emails either.

Redbeard76 said...

*my = by

Sparkle Plenty said...

To The Rantzinator: You betcha! I will NOT tell Cake that you think that she does lots of things that are incredibly cool! Your secret is absolutely, 100% safe with me! Mum's the word!

Shrek and Fiona said...

[Shrek] A person I went to high school with stumbled into me (literally) at a Worcester Sharks game recently, and told me that I should have signed up for classmates.com because he'd been trying to reach me for years and no one he knew had my phone number or e-mail address.

I guess the fact my parent's phone number is printed in my high school year book and a google search of my name comes up with my e-mail address was too complicated for him.

Actually, now that I think about it there's no guessing involved...

Lois Lane said...

I ran into the same problem with Classmates. Tried to correct my entry with a new e-mail address and can't.

Ah well, whatever. Its not like I'd actually ever go to a high school reunion anyway. And if anyone wants to find me, thanks to 15 or so years of having articles published online and Facebook, it ain't brain surgery.

David'Z RantZ said...

I first "found" Classmates a few years ago -- and not via one of their ubiquitous banner ads -- when I was searching for a girl I had a crush on in second and third grade. She moved to the next town in third grade, and nine years later, the local paper printed photos of all the graduates in our area... my town, her town, and more! And there she was, looking gorgeous and legal.

But I digress.

Anyway, I entered my personal info on the site. I was even a Gold Member, briefly. I did manage to re-establish contact with one of the few members of my graduating class whom I deem "worthy" of such contact, so it wasn't a total loss.

I just visited the site to see if they'd improved it as far as removing your personal info -- they have -- and stopping all their blasted emails. To stop emails, it takes about half an hour visiting different pages to opt out of several different kinds of emails! So maybe my "in for life" characterization of their site isn't quite accurate, but their email notification pages still need a re-haul.

I'll update my entry in the interests of fairness.

Related Posts with Thumbnails