This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Patrick McGoohan, 1928-2009, R.I.P.

Just yesterday, I read a rather amusing anecdote concerning Patrick McGoohan on Mark Evanier's NewsFromME blog.

And now, only a day later, the incredibly talented Mr. McGoohan is gone.

Most people know him from either Secret Agent (known as Danger Man in Great Britain) or The Prisoner, but after first becoming "aware" of him when I watched Secret Agent as a boy, I became -- and remained -- a fan, and saw him act in vehicles as varied as Braveheart and Silver Streak.

I put "aware" in quotes, however, because it wasn't until years later that I realized I'd actually enjoyed the man's work a few years earlier, when I was a bit too young to discern most actors from one another. McGoohan starred in three episodes of Walt Disney's The Wonderful World of Color as The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (released years later in Great Britain as a movie called Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow... And why the hell do the British versions so often have different titles, regardless of which one came first? We are speaking the same language, aren't we?), which fascinated me from the first high-pitched cackle in the theme song. They were well-written, well-acted, and moodier than a lot of the Disney classics. Watching them now shows me that they've definitely stood the test of time.

The Scarecrow episodes and movie were recently released as a collector's item DVD set, which my friend John was nice enough to buy for me as a Christmas present. Good thing for me that he did, as I doubt they'll be easy to find at a reasonable price, at least for a while.

Thanks for your time.

7 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

This really makes me sad. What an amazing guy he was--very creative, very talented, and very opposed to bullhockey of all kinds.

Patrick McGoohan: He was not a number; he was a free man.

(Is The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh movie scary--for a little kid? I vaguely remember it as such--but maybe I was just scared by that picture.)

David'Z RantZ said...

I was about seven when I first saw it, and the scariest thing for me was that damned laugh in the theme song! But having seen it recently, especially a (phony) hanging scene... I suppose a kid who's slightly older than seven, and able to understand more than I did, might be scared... But once you realize they're in costume... maybe not.

Sorry for such a wishy-washy answer.

Cake said...

"Just yesterday, I read a rather amusing anecdote concerning Patrick McGoohan on Mark Evanier's NewsFromME blog.

And now the incredibly talented Mr. McGoohan is gone."

Wait...so Mark Evanier killed Mr. McGoohan!?! Damn you, Mark Evanier!!!

(I loved McGoohan...this bites.)

Cake said...

Ricardo Montalban has died now, too.

*goes to look for infrastructure*

Jeanie said...

Montalban?Oh no!When I was a young pre-teen I went through a "latin" stage where I was goo goo eyed over him, Fernando Lamas, and Cesar Romero.Pass the bottle, Cake!

bacon ace said...

To hell with Patrick Mchow's his name, head on over to my blog to help living people fer chrissakes.

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Oh, man!

There goes more of my youth!

I lived for some of those shows.

I don't think I saw the Scarecrow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails