This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

One of the Reasons I Never "Outgrew" Comics

One of the reasons I never "outgrew" comics is that I grew up during that curious time period in which the comics themselves seemed to grow up even as I did. Several titles became -- dare I say it? -- almost "adult" in nature, and that's "adult" meaning "grown-up," not "swear words and cartoon boobs."

And here's one of the coolest moments from one such series, Jim Starlin's take on the Adam Warlock character:

Now, admit it: Haven't we all had moments like this? No? Just me, huh? Crap.

If you're a comic book fan, and you've never read this saga, you really ought to; they're worth the hunt. The original stories in the Starlin Warlock series jumps from one title to another, as you'll see.
  • Strange Tales 178-181 (March-June 1975)
  • Warlock #9-15 (Oct. 1975 - Nov. 1976)
  • Marvel Team-Up #55 (March 1977; This is not a Starlin story, but it was always included in the two reprint editions I list below, and was virtually the only Warlock story that occurred while Starlin otherwise "controlled" the character.)
  • The Avengers Annual #7 (1977)
  • Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2 (1977)
The fourteen issues listed above were also reprinted twice, as two separate six-issue mini-series:
  • Special Edition on Warlock #1-6 (Dec. 1982 - May 1983; reprints only)
  • Warlock vol. 2, #1-6 (May-Oct. 1992; reprints only)
(And we'll just pretend that everything during The Infinity Gauntlet, as good as it was, and everything that came afterwards never happened.)

Thanks for your time.

5 comments:

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Your pic has gotten older.

Oh my, along with this panel, makes me wonder:

Are you o.k.?

Comics have been around the same since I started reading them.

No, come to think of it, they have matured as I did, I just never really noticed. What I read changed as well.

Mental note: must read more of that stack of comics that has been neglected. But when?

cousin saul said...

Interestingly, (at least to me) that was the time period I stopped being entertained by most comics. Warlock by Jim Starlin was specifically the comic that began my dislike of the more "mature" comics! It seemed as if every character developed mental issues in Starlin's work. Different strokes I guess...Paul Howley, co-star of tonight's episode of Burn Notice, 10pm eastern time on USA Network.

Jayne said...

Guess who???

Oh wait... yeah. Forgot you can see my name.

I'm back despite missing most of my PC files.

I have a hell of a lot of catching up to do!

Happy weekend!!

subtorp77 said...

Looks like I chimed in too late. Missed cousin saul's shameless plug. And the show. Oh wait...I don't watch telly ;)

The Silver Fox said...

Ishat: Am I okay? Umm... I guess so.

Cousin Saul: That is interesting, to me, anyway. Just curious as to why. Any ideas? I have a theory or two, but I'd like to see your reaction first.

Jayne: Welcome back.

SubTorp: I don't watch TV any more at home, but I had a friend DVR that episode.

Related Posts with Thumbnails