This blog is officially "retired," but my other blog,
"The Lair of the Silver Fox," is still open for business!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

TV or Not TV


Today's series of videos won't be for everyone. On the other hand, when was the last time -- if ever -- that one of my posts has indeed been "for everyone?"

It's all related to an earlier time of television viewing, but not the actual programs... so if you're sitting there saying, "Who cares?" and wanna leave, that's cool. See you later.

If you're old enough to remember a time when TV stations signed off for the night, and if you were one of those who, like myself, had no official bedtime on any night which wasn't a "school night," the following stuff may all seem a tad familiar... especially if you grew up in New England, specifically the Boston TV viewing area.

Old Test Patterns-IDs From Print - '50s-'60s

WHDH-TV/Channel 5 Moving Day Film (I believe this oldie is even before my time!)

WBZ-TV "Eyewitness News" 1970 (Sorry, no embedded video available!)

WGBH-2 Boston - Sign-Off 1970 (1 of 2)

WGBH-2 Boston - Sign-Off 1970 (2 of 2)

WSBK-TV 38 Boston (re-creation of '60s-'70s ID)

WKBG/WLVI-TV Composite Clip (One of the Boston UHF stations -- Channel 56 -- evolved from WKBG to WLVI during the period in which I aged from childhood to adulthood.)

WSMW-27 -- Worcester (This channel operated less than twenty miles from where I grew up!)

Classic TV Test Patterns

WNAC Movie 7 Opening (1978)

BOSTON TV Test Patterns (NE+NYC) 1980s

BOSTON TV Test Patterns 1980's, Part 2

WNAC-TV Final Sign-Off 1982

WLNE-TV 6 New England Sign-Off 1987

"High Flight" (Several stations across the country used to play this clip -- or one very much like it -- before the very last thing they'd play before sign-off, which was "The Star Spangled Banner."

Actually, I thought of ending today's collection of videos with "The Star Spangled Banner," but didn't want to make you stand up in front of your computer. I mean... You do stand up when our national anthem is played, don't you? (Just speaking to my American readers here, of course!)


Thanks for your time.

9 comments:

subtorp77 said...

I didn't think you'd find this many! People'll put anything on YouTube!

sy-phillis said...

Davidz,
Nuttin' for black hiftory monfth?

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

I remember the ones from the 80's.

I was a teen and they didn't care how late I stayed up.

Kathy said...

Excellent! Sadly, I do recall when TV broadcasting wasn't 24x7. I didn't grow up in New Eng. though so it's great to see what ya'll saw while I was watching the American Flag and listening to the nat'l anthem and then....the color bars.

Sparkle Plenty said...

HA! I love it!

(Did you turn into a revolutionary war dude? Your new picture is striking!)

The Silver Fox said...

(I am now "The Artist Formerly Known As David'Z RantZ!")

Sparkle! How the hell did you get out of the basem-- I mean, welcome back!

The illustration is Captain Ahab, from the cover of Classics Illustrated #5.

subtorp77 said...

New Mexico...1970's(mid 1970's). I used to stay up late Fridays and Saturdays, after the late,late,late show; to watch "Wally Woofer's Wacky Weekend" Wally used to dress up like an Alice Cooper reject, with the monotone of Stephen Wright. I think he was prob'ly stoned on the set( even then I could tell it 'twasn't a fog machine ). No test patterns required, here.

Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Ha ha!

The ninja cats I sent worked!

I am happy you are back. I am working on chapter 10. 1969 has become much longer then anticipated.

Keair said...

Even when I was a kid local stations signed off at night but I think I am one of few people my age who realize that because everyone else was smart (and financially able) to have cable by then. lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails